King’s Court was built in 189 by William Lodge Wallis (born in 1856) and wife Mary Wallis. They had previously sold land at Eastleigh to London South Western Railway.
King’s Court was a grand Victorian house with extensive grounds, a smoking room, a gun room, a housekeepers room, a morning room and boot room. The house also had a kitchen, a stable block and a cottage. The distinctive point on the corner tower has been removed for safety reasons and the verdant approach replaced by a car-park, but visitors are still greeted by the “delightful hall with galleried staircase” described in 1938.
The main entrance to Kings Court was a driveway past the Keepers lodge. In the 1930’s, the lodge was extended and became a restaurant, initially known as King’s Court Roadhouse (now known as King’s Court Restaurant).
1888 – 1902: W. Baxendale
1902 – 1903: George A. Cooper
1904 – 1907: Earl & Countess Cottenham
1907 – 1911: Francis Gerald Stewart
1911 – 1927: Colonel Heathcote Stisted
1927 – 1935: Charles Walker Studd
1935 – 1938: During these years, Kings Court was a girls school named ‘Kings Court College’ with A. Mortimer Gunnel as Principal. On the 20th of July of the year 1938, the girls school was sold at an auction for £2,300.
1940 – 1941: During this year, Kings Court was used for Union Castle hire offices.
1960’s: Kings Court was used as a furniture repository and warehouse for Pick Fords LTD.
1966 – Present: Masonic Centre. In 1968, ‘Kings Court Restaurant’ (originally ‘King’s Court Roadhouse’) was opened by two chefs.
Click on the ‘King’s Court’ booklet image to download the history of the building.